Thursday, February 23, 2012

Up & Down Couple of Days

The last few days of running have been a little inconsistent for me. The positive from everything is over the last 7 days, I ran a total of 70 miles, the first time I've done that since my training for the Boston Marathon nearly a year ago! The drawback is yesterday's workout became some pretty ugly miles. My original workout plan was to do a Fartlek/Tempo workout of 10x3 minutes at 10K pace with 90 seconds of jog recovery in between each. When I began the workout, I was feeling pretty good, but 3 intervals into the workout my stomach starting feeling a little uneasy. Uneasy very quickly turned into being virtually unable to run without pain. The worst part was that at this point I was at my farthest point away from where I had started from (the high school). I eventually found a bathroom, cleared some things out and felt moderately better. I scrapped the workout by that point and just got myself back to my car in the parking lot so I could go home. I have not figured out what triggered that because my eating patterns were identical to what they have been the entire school year. Hopefully it doesn't happen today.

On the up-side of things, I had great workouts the few days prior to that. I ran 14.5 miles on Sunday morning with Brett from the racing team with about 3 miles up-tempo during the second half of the run. We averaged 7:18 pace with the up-tempo portion averaging around 6:15-6:20 pace per mile.

Monday, I ran a solid 10 miles on my own around Plymouth and just felt really good the whole way. I got the run in before the snow came, which was also a positive.

On Tuesday, I ran about 6 miles with a college teammate of mine, Jason Phillippi, who also runs for the Gear West team and teaches at Rockford. We did a loop from my place that took us along a number of paths in Plymouth that normally are not plowed the day after a snowfall, but this time, they were! Needless to say, that made the run go much more smoothly.

In the next week to come, I will be getting in another good long run as well as a session of 400m intervals, leading up to the Treadmill 1 Mile World Championships, being held at Gear West from Friday, March 2nd to Sunday, March 4th. I have absolutely no idea what to expect from this race, especially since I haven't been on a treadmill much this year, but we'll see what happens!

No comments: